I used to have an Oakland A's cap that featured the white elephant logo. Unfortunately, a few years ago, my then-pregnant wife mistook it for a barf bag while riding in the car.
In 1902, John McGraw derisively called the Athletics team (then in Philadelphia) a "big, white elephant." Connie Mack embraced the term, doing what cultural studies majors would call "re-appropriating it," and had a white elephant put on all uniforms. The A's of course went on to have a pretty successful next dozen years, going to the World Series five times and winning it three, until Mack pulled a Jeff Luhnow and blew up the team in 1915.
I've heard Ryan Sims and other so-called baseball experts refer to this year's Dodgers team as a possible "dumpster fire." Here's to hoping the Dodgers pull a Connie Mack and embrace the term, emblazoning bullpen jackets and batting practice caps with the picture to the left.
I'd buy one. And I'd keep it away from my wife.
No comments:
Post a Comment