My favorite manager of all time, Earl Weaver, never played in the major leagues. There are a handful of active managers who also never played in the majors: Buck Showalter, Manny Acta, Joe Maddon, Jim Leyland, Fredi Gonzalez, and Terry Collins. However, most managers had less than illustrious to mediocre (or slightly above average) careers. I’m going to list the teams a manager played for in chronological order, and you need to name the manager.
1. New York Yankees
2. Los Angeles Dodgers
3. Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Devil Rays
4. Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Kansas City Royals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Detroit Tigers
5. Chicago Cubs, Colorado Rockies, New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals
6. Milwaukee Brewers, Toronto Blue Jays, St. Louis Cardinals, San Francisco Giants
7. Chicago White Sox, New York Mets, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers
8. Houston Astros, New York Mets, San Diego Padres
9. Seattle Mariners, Kansas City Royals, Cleveland Indians, Toronto Blue Jays, San Francisco Giants, Toronto Blue Jays
10. Atlanta Braves, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, Oakland A’s
11. Baltimore Orioles, Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs
12. Minnesota Twins, Los Angeles Dodgers
13. Los Angeles Dodgers, California Angels, San Diego Padres, New York Mets, Seattle Mariners
14. Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros
15. Los Angeles Dodgers, Seattle Mariners, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds
This is a tough one. I started out pretty confidently because I rattled off the first two without any problem and the 'Devil Rays' is a pretty big hint. It gets markedly tougher from there, though...
ReplyDeleteIs Bobby V not included because you figure he might get fired before people see the post? If you're going to do this, you have to do the people I actually know. Also, I don't think Charlie Manuel played in the majors.
ReplyDeleteI take it back - he played for the Twins and Dodgers. Shows you what I know. By the way, I don't care, I'm going to be leaving comments and filling up your inbox all day long.
ReplyDeleteI ordered them so they got more difficult. Mostly that just means the managers get older as you go farther down the list. And Bobby V is on the list. The last three make me happy because they all start with the Dodgers. Tommy Lasorda has left his stamp on major league baseball.
ReplyDeleteKeep posting these things and I'll keep taking the time to figure them out. Would that be considered slightly OCD or something like that? Maybe it's just the sort of thing teachers do during the summer when they get bored.
ReplyDelete1. Don Mattingly
2. Mike Scioscia
3. Ozzie Guillen
4. Kirk Gibson
5. Joe Girardi
6. Mike Matheny
7. Robin Ventura
8. Bruce Bochy
9. Bud Black
10. Dusty Baker
11. Davey Johnson
12. Charlie Manuel
13. Bobby Valentine
14. Ron Washington
15. Ron Roenicke
Nailed 'em! There's a new quiz posted. I think it's a bit easier than this one.
ReplyDelete