Friday, April 13, 2012

Exchanging Pleasantries

While Curt is the ultimate connoisseur of ejections, I have always found myself drawn more to the unpredictable realm of intra-player squabbles.  For me, the absence of an authority figure lends more dramatic possibility to the occasional flareup.  Additionally, these are the types of conflicts that can really become compelling subplots for this season and beyond, adding to the richness of a game that has become more fraternal than ever - players changing teams, sharing agents, sponsors, camps, off-season workouts/trainers, etc.  In that regard, I'm always heartened to see some personal animosity on the diamond.  Below is a video of a run-in between Sandoval and Bloomquist over some alleged pitch/location relay from Bloomquist's second base vantage point to the batter.  Note how gleeful the episode makes Mark Grace.  I was just as gleeful.  Enjoy:

3 comments:

  1. This is excellent. I love sign stealing and umbrage-taking. Commentary by Grace is a nice cherry on top. I'm just disappointed he didn't make his usual exhortation: "That's big league!"

    re: Pedro Sandoval. It's crazy to me that Pedro Sandoval can be underrated as a player, but I'm almost certain he is.

    re: Willie Bloomquist. I don't know why, but every year I take it as a personal affront that Willie Bloomquist is an opening day starter at shortstop. But I guess that's what happens when you're the understudy of a Drew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unacceptable mistake on my part to call Pablo Sandoval Pedro. I will now go watch every 2012 Panda at bat as penance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize this falls under the auspices of the bastardized version of baseball others call the AL, but Joe Maddon has implied the Red Sox are stealing signs:

    http://www.nesn.com/2012/04/joe-maddon-hints-that-red-sox-may-have-been-stealing-signs-over-weekend.html

    Good stuff early in the season.

    ReplyDelete