For those who don't see the Nationals on a regular basis, you may not realize that star 3B and face of the franchise Ryan Zimmerman can't really throw a baseball. This, sadly, is not hyperbole. Unfortunately, he is also a wizard with the glove - a fact that lends an air of tragedy to his predicament. Viewers of baseball highlight shows may have seen this play he made against the Cubs:
When I say he 'can't really throw' I mean that he can't throw conventionally. Instead he sidearm slings everything. This presents challenges for an MLB 3B because it means that he needs to approach everything form the side and create awkward momentum for himself to justify his throwing motion. Witness:
That's completely unnecessary and no other 3B would make the play like that. These aren't cherry-picked examples, either. This is every play. Why does he do this? How great are his problems throwing conventionally? We'll answer these and other questions as 'By The Way, Ryan Zimmerman Still Can't Throw' continues over the course of the season.
I love that John Lannan is pitching in the second highlight.
ReplyDeleteI've never noticed the Zimmerman sidearm, but it is pronounced. To be honest, this is kind of what I love about baseball: players with weird quirks (or bad physiques).
Love everything about Zimmerman throwing like that. I'm still waiting for my High Five from him.
ReplyDeleteAlso, real reason I'm posting here is because I looked at the Nats box score today, and saw this:
FIELDING
E: R Zimmerman (1, throw)
Great stuff.